Saturday, December 1, 2012

Guest Post – Keep Your Midlife Sex Organs!

Dear Midlife Lady,
I was so taken by Robin Karr’s comments on our guest post on October 27th I asked Robin if she would personally write a guest blog for Sensibly Selfish about menopause and women’s sex organs. Her response is so important and the message so clear I have decided to print it here just as she wrote it. Here is the email she sent me…
"Hi Kay, 
I was thinking off and on today about what I should write about hysterectomy; about the removal of a woman’s SEX organs. My thoughts ran far and wide… I kept coming back to what my 23 year old son wrote though. He’s the one who connected the dots for me regarding the reproductive organs being SEX organs that aren’t disposable. 

The truth is my own son taught me that my SEX organs were removed. It was as if a light had been switched on. For the first time, I fully realized just how much I’d lost via hysterectomy – via the removal of my SEX organs. 

I falsely believed that my ‘reproductive’ organs had been removed. I believed this because I’d been taught to believe this. Additionally, the gynecologist who removed my SEX organs assured me I didn’t need them since I was no longer reproducing. My son helped me to understand and realize that nothing could be further from the truth – nothing. 

Of course, I realize this more and more five years post-surgery as my health and sexuality continually decline. Women desperately need to think of their sex organs as their SEX organs because that is what they are. They are SEX organs which are used for the purpose of reproduction (or not) for a period of time. Once women are able to think of their SEX organs in this way, there will be complete understanding that they’re necessary for life; not just until middle-age. 

I’m so proud of my son for having the courage to face what I initially could not face for myself. Please click here to read what my son wrote about hysterectomy after attending a 10-hour hysterectomy conference in New York, with me."
 
I thank Robin for having the courage to tell her story. Please leave your comments in the boxes below and I will make sure Robin receives them. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment